Holy crap, reality just smacked me in the face! We’re only a little over 3½ weeks from the Okc Memorial Marathon….and the nerves are starting to build.
I really shouldn’t be nervous. This is my 3rd marathon and I know what to expect. But I think I’m putting a boatload of pressure on myself to finish strong.
My first two marathons were kind of disasters. I had no idea how to train properly or hydrate properly. Nutrition was a mystery and I probably OD’d on electrolyte tablets during the second race!
This marathon training season has been very, very different. I have my hydration in order and I’ve figured out when to eat and how much. My only problems have been hitting a wall at about mile 16/17 but I think that’s because I wasn’t using any electrolyte replacement to help. That will change on Sunday during our final 20 mile training run.
I also have a nagging little sore spot on my right Achilles. It’s not like an Achilles problem though. And it doesn’t hurt when I walk or run! But it will need to be addressed so I’m heading to see my sports chiropractor next week to have him work on the muscles surrounding it.
Lately I’ve been obsessed with quinoa and black beans so I thought I’d post an unofficial recipe (meaning, this is not included in my recipe archive) for you to try.
Quinoa and Black Bean Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 15oz can organic black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ a fresh tomato, diced
- Small handful of peanuts or cashews…or both!
- ¼ fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ or less (eyeball it) goat cheese crumbles
- 1-2 tbl salsa we’ve been using a tomatillo and tomato salsa. Both are great. Your choice!
- Avocado, sliced or diced
- 1 lime
- In a sauce pan, place the quinoa and 2 cups of water. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer just below medium for about 12 minutes. Check it to make sure the water has soaked in but it isn’t too dry. You don’t want to scrape quinoa off the bottom of your pan.
- Meanwhile, place the beans in a sauce pan with the cumin and heat them according to the directions on the can.
- While the quinoa and beans are cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients: dice the tomato; if using cashews, crush them into large chunks (use a butcher knife), chop your cilantro, slice or dice the avocado, and cut the lime in half
- Once the quinoa and black beans have finished cooking/warming, spoon some quinoa into a bowl and top with some black beans. The amounts are up to you.
- Squeeze some lime over each bowl. I use about ½ a lime for each bowl.
- Top the mixture with S&P, some tomatoes, some peanuts/cashews, cilantro, goat cheese, salsa, and avocado.
- Keep the leftover ingredients (in separate containers) for lunch the next day.
Note: The portions above are just a rough estimate. I cut up and cook a lot, then use if in different ways each week. Although, I hate brown avocados so I tend to eat the entire thing once I’ve sliced one.
You can add any spice or any other ingredient to this you like. There have been times I’ve sauteed onions and mushrooms and even used that.
In addition, if you want more protein, fry an egg and place on top!